Corn Fritters can be high in fat or loaded with fillers. These fritters are flavorful, easy to make and without a lot of unnecessary ingredients. They take only about 15 minutes to prepare from farm to fork.
3 ears of corn, kernels removed (or use frozen, about 1.5 cups) divided
1/8 cup all purpose flour
1/2 T cornstarch
pinch cayenne pepper
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 cup minced chives or green part of scallions
1 T Parmigiano Reggiano
1 large egg
- Finely chop 1/2 the corn kernels, preferably in a food processor till they resemble mush. Set aside
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Saute the remaining whole kernels over medium heat until they appear roasted, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside in a medium-large bowl.
- Spray skillet again, add processed kernels and saute over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add to whole kernels.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cooking spray) and combine well .
- Clean any remaining bits from saute pan and spray again with cooking spray.
- Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls onto medium-hot pan and “fry” for about 3 minutes on one side, flip and fry for another 2 minutes. Fritters should be golden brown on both sides.
This recipe makes about 9 fritters, each about 2″ in diameter. Season lightly with salt if desired. 3 fritters are 1 point on Weight Watchers Freestyle.
Recipe can easily be multiplied.